Antioxidants are substances that can prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals.
Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food or is exposed to tobacco smoke and radiation. The build-up of free radicals over time can lead to a type of cell damage known as oxidative stress, which has been linked to an increased risk for developing chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and arthritis.
While your body does produce some antioxidants on its own, you can also get them from the foods you eat. Foods that are rich in antioxidants include fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains.
Here are ten fun facts about antioxidants:
1. Antioxidants scavenge harmful toxins called free radicals from our bodies which if left unchecked could cause serious health problems like cancer and heart disease.
2. They help keep our skin looking young and healthy by preventing wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
3. Antioxidants have been shown to boost brain power and memory function.
4. They improve circulation throughout the body and help reduce inflammation associated with conditions like arthritis pain relief.
5. Some research suggests that certain antioxidants may help lower blood pressure levels naturally.
6. They play a role in supporting a healthy immune system.
7. Antioxidants protect against cellular damage caused by things like pollution exposure.
8. Certain types of antioxidant supplements have been linked with weight loss.
9. They’ve been shown to fight off colds & flu viruses.
10. Last but not least – they just make us feel good!