Australia is a country located in the southern hemisphere.
The capital city of Australia is Canberra and the most populous city is Sydney. A unique feature of Australia is that it is both a country and a continent.
Here are ten fun facts about Australia:
1. There are over 10,000 beaches in Australia – more than any other country in the world!
2. Australia is home to more than 24,000 species of animals, including kangaroos, koalas, echidnas and platypuses!
3. Australia is the driest inhabited continent.
4. Australia is the world’s flattest continent.
5. Tasmania is home to some of the oldest trees on Earth – Huon pines can live for over 3,000 years!
6. Australia has the world’s oldest rainforest.
7. Australia is home to the world’s largest coral reef.
8. Sydney Harbour Bridge is the widest long-span bridge and tallest steel arch bridge in the world!
9. Australia is the world’s smallest continent and the world’s largest island.
10. Australia is the only continent without an active volcano.