Coronation Street is a British soap opera that was first broadcast on 9 December 1960.
Here are ten fun facts about Coronation Street:
1. Coronation Street is the world’s longest-running television soap opera.
2. As of 2017, there have been over 8,700 episodes of Coronation Street aired.
3. The show is set in the fictional town of Weatherfield in Greater Manchester.
4. The street itself is based on real streets in Salford and Manchester.
5. The Rovers Return Inn, which features prominently in the show, is based on a real pub called the Queen Victoria Inn in Bury.
6. Many well-known actors and actresses got their start on Coronation Street, including Sean Bean, Julie Walters, and Helen Worth.
7. In 2010, it was announced that Coronation Street would be getting its own 3D movie version released in cinemas nationwide for one night only!
8. Despite being such a long-running series, there have only been two spin-off films made – both released in the 1970s – titled ‘Percy’ (1971) and ‘The End of the Road’ (1978).
9. In 2015, Corrie celebrated its 55th anniversary with a live episode which saw Tracy Barlow return to the cobbles and kill her ex-husband Charlie Stubbs! It was watched by over 12 million viewers making it one of ITV’s highest rated broadcasts ever!
10. On September 20th 2017 it was revealed that actor Bill Tarmey who played Jack Duckworth for 31 years had passed away at his home surrounded by family aged 71 after suffering from ill health for some time.