Dogs are one of the most popular pets in the world.
They come in all shapes and sizes, and each breed has its own unique set of characteristics.
Here are ten fun facts about dogs:
1. Dogs have been domesticated for over 15,000 years.
2. There are estimated to be 400 million dogs in the world.
3. The average lifespan of a dog is 10-12 years.
4. The oldest recorded dog was 29 years old!
5. Dogs can hear sounds up to four times as far away as humans can.
6. A dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than a human’s sense of smell! This makes them excellent at tracking scents and finding things that are hidden from us humans.
7. Dogs only sweat through their paw pads and nose, which is why they pant to cool themselves off instead of sweating like we do.
8. There are over 150 different breeds of dogs recognised by the American Kennel Club (AKC).
9. The smallest breed of dog is the Chihuahua, which typically weighs less than 6 pounds (2 kg). The largest breed is the English Mastiff, which can weigh over 200 pounds (90 kg)!
10. The most popular breed of dog in America is the Labrador Retriever.