Drums are one of the oldest and most versatile instruments in the world.
Here are ten fun facts about drums:
1. The first known drum was found in a 9,000-year-old cave painting in China.
2. Drums were used in ancient times for communication, as they could be heard over long distances.
3. In many cultures, drums are used for ceremonial purposes, such as announcing births or deaths, or signalling the start of a hunt or battle.
4. Drums can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, metal, skin (animal or human) and even plastic.
5. The largest drum in the world is 22 feet wide and 11 feet tall – it’s located at Walt Disney World in Florida.
6. The smallest drum is just 1/8 inch wide and 1/16 inch tall – it’s called a “finger drum” and is played with… you guessed it, your fingers!
7. Drumming can be therapeutic – it has been shown to lower stress levels and blood pressure and improve moods and concentration.
8. Drumming is a great workout – it can burn up to 300 calories per hour!
9. There are many different types of drums, including snare drums, bass drums, tom-toms, bongos and congas.
10. Some famous drummers include Ringo Starr (The Beatles), Neil Peart (Rush), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers).