Elvis Presley is one of the most iconic musicians of all time.
Even though he’s been dead for over four decades, Elvis Presley is still one of the most popular and influential musicians of our time. Elvis passed away on August 16, 1977 at the age of 42 from a heart attack. He remains one of the best-selling artists of all time and his legacy continues to live on through his music and influence.
Here are ten fun facts about Elvis Presley:
1. His twin brother, Jesse Garon Presley, was born 35 minutes before him but unfortunately died at childbirth.
2. His middle name was Aron – named after his father.
3. As a child, Elvis was extremely shy and introverted. He didn’t start speaking until he was four years old!
4. In 1954, at the age of 19, Elvis recorded his first single, “That’s All Right Mama.” It would go on to become a massive hit and launch his career.
5. Elvis served in the U.S Army from 1958-1960 and was stationed in Germany during that time. He was already a major star at the time. It was while serving in the Army that Elvis met 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu – they would later marry (in 1967) and have one daughter together, Lisa Marie Presley.
6. When Elvis was just 13 years old, he bought his first guitar for $12.95.
7. Elvis’s first movie was Love Me Tender in 1956. He was paid $35,000 for his role in the film.
8. In 1957, Elvis purchased a mansion in Memphis, Tennessee called Graceland (he was 22) – it would become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and is now a National Historic Landmark.
9. Elvis starred in 33 movies, including “Jailhouse Rock” and “Viva Las Vegas.”
10. When Elvis was 13, he won a talent contest at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show with a $5 prize.