There are many interesting facts about eyes and vision that you may not know.
The human eye is an organ that reacts to light and allows us to see. Eyes are organs of the visual system. They provide humans with the ability to process visual detail, as well as enabling them to see the world in three dimensions.
Here are ten fun facts about eyes:
1. The average person blinks around 15 times per minute.
2. The longest recorded stare was by a 3-year-old boy who stared at the sun for 8 minutes and 13 seconds! This caused permanent damage to his retinae.
3. The human eye can distinguish between about 10 million different colours.
4. The eye is the second most complex organ in the human body, after the brain.
5. The human eye can process images that are received about 60,000 times faster than the brain can process words.
6. The average human eye can see objects that are about as small as a grain of sand.
7. Babies are born with blue eyes regardless of their parents’ eye colour because melanin, the pigment that gives eyes their colour, has not yet been produced in sufficient quantities. Melanin production increases during the first few years of life, resulting in a change in eye colour for some people.
8. The eye can see more shades of green than any other colour.
9. The longest recorded human eyelash was 12.4 centimetres (4.9 inches).
10. The weight of the human eyeball is approximately 28 grams (0.99 ounces).