Get ready to be wowed with these ten fun facts about lip gloss, one of the most popular beauty products around! From its origin story to the new and innovative formulas hitting the market today, learn more about this essential makeup beauty item.
Lip Gloss has been around for centuries.
Yes, that’s right! According to historical records, lip gloss has been used throughout the ages. Ancient Egyptians and Romans have shared documentation of using a variety of products to give lips a glossy sheen, utilizing ingredients like beeswax, rose petals, carmine and even crushed beetles. Thankfully, today’s formulations are much safer than those used centuries ago!
- Lip gloss was first invented in the 1930s by Max Factor, and it was originally used as a way to lighten and add shine to the lips of actresses in black and white movies. Max Factor later created a lip gloss for sale to the public. It was called X-Rated – a scandalous name for the time.
- Lip gloss is typically made up of a combination of oils, waxes, and pigments
- Lip glosses are available in a variety of colors and finishes and even flavors.
- Lip gloss was popularized in the 1980s and 1990s, when it became a staple of teenage beauty routines.
- Lip gloss can be used to accentuate the lips and provide a more natural look than lipstick.
- Lip gloss can be applied over lipstick to add shine and moisture.
- Lip gloss can be used to create a glossy, or highlighter, effect on the eyes and cheeks.
- Lip gloss can be made at home with ingredients like coconut oil, beeswax, and flavor oils.
- Glossy lips are often seen as being more youthful and attractive than matte lips.
- Lip gloss can also be used to create a plumping effect, making the lips look bigger and fuller.