Goldfish are one of the most popular pets in the world.
They have existed more than 12,000 years ago and believed to be originated from China. They’re easy to care for and can live for 10-15 years with proper care. They are actually a type of carp, a freshwater fish that is native to East Asia, they were brought to Europe in the 17th century. They come in many different colours including orange, red, white, black, blue and yellow. The coloration is determined by their diet and environment.
Here are ten fun facts about goldfish:
1. Goldfish can see both in water and out of water. They have a poor short-term memory but can remember routes and routines for months.
2. The average lifespan of a goldfish is 10-15 years. However, it is not unusual for goldfish to live up to 20 years or more with proper care.
3. Goldfish are capable of making various vocalisations, but they are usually too quiet to be heard.
4. Goldfish are proficient swimmers and can travel up to 1.5 miles per hour.
5. Goldfish have a unique ability to orient themselves using the Earth’s magnetic field.
6. Goldfish are omnivorous and their diet should include both plant and animal matter.
7. Goldfish are highly sensitive to changes in water temperature and quality.
8. Goldfish are often used in Feng Shui as they are believed to bring good luck.
9. Goldfish are the official state fish of Illinois.
10. The world’s oldest goldfish was 44 years old when it died in 1999.