Golf is a sport that many people enjoy. It can be played by people of all ages and skill levels. Golf is a great way to get outdoors, exercise, and spend time with friends or family.
Here are ten fun facts about golf:
1. Golf originated in Scotland in the 15th century.
2. The game of golf was first mentioned in writing in 1457.
3. The oldest golf course in the world is the Musselburgh Links, which is located in Scotland.
4. The longest recorded drive in a competitive round of golf was 515 yards (471 meters), hit by Mike Austin in 1974.
5. In 1873, the first professional golfer was born- Willie Park Sr.. He went on to win The Open Championship four times.
6. The youngest person ever to win a professional golf tournament was Young Tom Morris, who won The Open Championship at age 17 in 1868.
7. In 1934, Babe Zaharias became the first woman to play in a PGA Tour event- she missed the cut by 12 strokes.
8. There are approximately 34 million people who play golf around the world.
9. Approximately 1 billion balls are sold each year.
10. The average golfer walks about 8 miles (13 kilometers) during a round of golf.