Hair is one of the most important parts of our bodies.
Not only does it protect us from the elements, but it also plays a big role in how we look and feel about ourselves.
Here are ten fun facts about hair:
1. The average person has around 100,000 hairs on their head.
2. Hair is made up of a protein called keratin.
3. Your hair can tell people a lot about your health – for example, if you’re lacking in certain vitamins or minerals, it can show up in your hair (think brittle nails or dull-looking locks).
4. Speaking of vitamins, biotin (aka vitamin B7) is essential for healthy hair growth. So if you’re looking to give your mane a boost, make sure you’re getting enough biotin in your diet!
5. On average, hair grows around half an inch per month. However, this can vary depending on factors such as age, hormones and overall health.
6. If you’ve ever wondered why split ends happen, it’s because the protective outer layer of the hair shaft (known as the cuticle) gets damaged over time due to things like heat styling and chemical treatments (such as colouring). This damage causes the inner layers of the hair to become exposed and susceptible to breakage – hence those pesky split ends!
7. Regular trims are key for keeping your hair looking its best since they help get rid of any damaged or broken strands. But don’t worry – trimming doesn’t actually make your hair grow any faster.
8. Heat styling tools such as straighteners and curling irons can do serious damage to your locks if used incorrectly or too often – so be sure to use them sparingly!
9. Brushing wet hair can cause it to stretch and break, so always wait until it’s completely dry before giving yourself a good brush through.
10. Finally, did you know that humans are the only mammals with hairy scalps? All other animals have fur instead!