Jim Carrey is a Canadian-American actor, comedian, impressionist, screenwriter and producer.
He is known for his highly energetic slapstick performances.
Here are ten fun facts about Jim Carrey:
1. Jim Carrey was born in Newmarket, Ontario, on January 17, 1962.
2. As a child, Carrey wanted to be a stand-up comedian like his idol Richard Pryor.
3. The family struggled financially during Carrey’s childhood, often moving between rented apartments and homes.
4. When Carrey was 12 years old, his father lost his job, prompting the family to move to Toronto.
5. It was there that Carrey began to develop his interest in comedy, landing his first professional gig as a stand-up comedian at the Yuk Yuk’s comedy club when he was just 14 years old.
6. After high school, Carrey moved to Los Angeles to pursue his dream of becoming a successful comedian and actor.
7. His big break came in 1990 when he was cast as a member of the cast of “In Living Colour,” an African American sketch comedy television series.
8. After “In Living Colour” ended, Carrey’s career took off and he appeared in a string of successful comedies, including “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective,” “The Mask,” and “Dumb and Dumber.”
9. In the early 2000s, Carrey also found success in more serious roles, appearing in films such as “The Truman Show” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” for which he earned critical acclaim.
10. These days, Carrey remains active in both comedy and drama, and he has also taken up painting in recent years, exhibiting his work in a number of galleries.