London is the most populous city in the United Kingdom, with over 8 million residents.
If you’re planning a trip to London, or even if you’re just curious about this great city, check out these ten fun facts. You may not know everything there is to know about London, but learning a few bits of trivia is a great way to start!
Here are ten fun facts about London:
1. London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom.
2. It is the largest city in the European Union with a population of over 8 million people.
3. Aldgate Station has 1000 bodies buried underneath it. The bodies were most likely buried there en-mass after the Great Plague.
4. Buckingham Palace, the official residence of the British monarch, is located in London as well as St Paul’s Cathedral and Big Ben.
5. Over 300 languages are spoken in London.
6. London is also home to the world’s oldest zoo, the London Zoo, which opened in 1828.
7. Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street with over 300 shops while Camden Market is famous for its alternative fashion and unique gifts on offer from independent traders.
8. The city is home to over 170 museums, including the British Museum, which has one of the largest collections of antiquities in the world.
9. The Millennium Dome is so big that it can fit the Great Pyramids of Giza comfortably under the roof.
10. The London Underground is the oldest underground railway system in the world, opening in 1863.