Ludwig van Beethoven is one of the most famous and influential classical composers of all time.
Here are ten fun facts about Ludwig van Beethoven:
1. He was born in 1770 in the city of Bonn, Germany.
2. His father was a musician who used to teach him music. However, his father would often beat him whenever he made a mistake.
3. As a result of this abuse, Ludwig developed a lifelong hatred for his father.
4. At the age of 5, he started receiving formal musical training from Christian Gottlob Neefe, the newly appointed Court Organist.
5. In 1787, at the age of 17, he travelled to Vienna to study under Mozart – but Mozart died just six weeks after their meeting!
6. After Mozart’s death, Beethoven continued his studies with Austrian composer Joseph Haydn.
7. By 1800, Beethoven had established himself as one of Europe’s leading composers and performers – despite being almost completely deaf by this point!
8. His most famous work is probably his 9th Symphony, which includes the well-known “Ode to Joy” melody.
9. He also wrote 32 piano sonatas, 16 string quartets and 5 concertos – among many other pieces of music.
10. Beethoven died in 1827 at the age of 56, after a long battle with liver disease.