There’s more to makeup than meets the eye. In addition to being a creative outlet, wearing makeup can boost your confidence and help you look your best.
Here are ten fun facts about makeup:
1. Makeup has been around for centuries. The first recorded use of cosmetics dates back to ancient Egypt in 4000 BC. Cleopatra was known for her signature kohl eyeliner, which was thought to have magical powers.
2. Today, the global cosmetics industry is worth an estimated $445 billion dollars.
3. The average woman spends approximately $300 per year on beauty products, with lipstick being the most popular item purchased.
4. Wearing red lipstick can actually make you appear more confident and attractive to others. Studies have shown that men are more likely to approach women who are wearing red lipstick as opposed to those who aren’t wearing any lip colour at all.
5. Foundation is the most commonly used cosmetic product worldwide, with over 80% of women saying they regularly use it.
6. Concealer is a close second, used by 79 % of women.
7. It takes the average woman approximately two minutes to apply her basic makeup routine, including foundation, mascara and blush.
8. For those who wear false lashes, it can take up to an additional five minutes.
9. The world’s oldest surviving cosmetic brand is Guerlain, which was founded in France in 1828.
10. The company’s flagship store is still located on Paris’ famed Champs-Élysées avenue.