Manchester City Football Club, also known as Man City, is a professional football club based in Manchester, England. It is one of the most successful and popular football clubs in the world.
Manchester City has won numerous domestic and international titles, including nine English Premier League titles, seven FA Cup titles, and eight League Cup titles. The club has also won one UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, one UEFA Super Cup, and one Intercontinental Cup.
One of the most successful periods in the club’s history came in the 2010s, when Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi royal family purchased the club in 2008. Since then, the club has invested heavily in new players and facilities, which has resulted in unprecedented success on the field. In 2018-19, Manchester City won the English football treble, taking the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup. In 2022-23, they took another ‘treble’, winning the English Premier League, the English FA Cup and the European Champions League.
Here are ten fun facts about Manchester City Football Club:
- Manchester City FC was founded in 1880 as St. Mark’s (West Gorton) by a group of railway workers. It became Ardwick Association Football Club in 1887 and eventually Manchester City in 1894.
- The team has played their home games at the Etihad Stadium since 2003. Their home ground prior to that was Maine Road.
- Manchester City FC’s traditional colors are sky blue and white.
- Manchester City won the English Premier League in the 2017-18 by a 19-point margin, the largest points margin on record for the EPL.
- The team’s all-time leading goal scorer is Sergio Aguero, who scored 260 goals in 390 appearances for the club.
- Manchester City FC scored 100 goals in a single season for the first time in the 2013-14. They have since gone on to repeat the feat in the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons. They have achieved this 100-goal mark more times than any other team in the English Premier League.
- Manchester City won their first European trophy, the European Cup Winners’ Cup, in 1970.
- Man City was the first team in Premier League history to win the title with 100 points in a season (2017-18).
- The team’s record attendance at Maine Road, their former stadium, was 84,569 for a game against Stoke City in 1934.
- Man City’s biggest ever win came October of 1890 when they defeated Liverpool Stanley 12-0 in the FA Cup. Their highest number of goals scored was in an 11-3 victory against Lincoln in the League Cup in 1895.