McDonald’s is the world’s largest restaurant chain by revenue, serving over 69 million customers daily in over 100 countries across 37,855 outlets as of 2018.
They are particularly known for their hamburgers, cheeseburgers and french fries, as well as breakfast items such as McMuffins and McGriddles. In most markets, McDonald’s offers salads and vegetarian options, wraps and other localized fare.
Here are ten fun facts about McDonald’s:
1. The first ever McDonald’s was opened in 1940 by brothers Dick and Mac McDonald in San Bernardino, California.
2. The fast-food chain was originally called “McDonald’s Bar-B-Q” before it was shortened to just “McDonald’s” in 1948.
3. The McDonald’s logo was designed in 1968 by Jim Schindler. The golden arches represent the letter “M” for McDonald’s.
4. There are currently more than 38,000 McDonald’s restaurants worldwide. Approximately 93% Of McDonald’s restaurants worldwide are owned and operated by independent local business owners.
5. Every day, around 68 million people visit a McDonald’s somewhere around the world.
6. You would need to eat at least seven burgers from different McDonald’s restaurants around the world to try them all – there are more than 75 different types.
7. McDonald’s first drive-through opened in 1975 in Sierra Vista, Arizona. It was for the purpose of the military, soldiers were not allowed to leave their cars whilst in uniform.
8. French Fries were not always on the menu, they were added in 1947 when potatoes became plentiful following World War II.
9. In the United States, there are more McDonald’s restaurants than there are hospitals!
10. King Charles of England owns a McDonald’s near Buckingham Palace, London. So far, he has yet to dine there, but he may be more of a drive-through type!