Milk is a nutritious food that provides many essential nutrients.
It is a good choice for people of all ages and can be a part of a healthy, balanced diet. Did you know that milk is not only a delicious and nutritious drink, but it also has some interesting facts associated with it?
Here are ten fun facts about milk:
1. Milk is actually an emulsion of fat and water. Milk is made up of 87% water and 13% solids including fats, proteins, carbohydrates minerals and vitamins.
2. The average dairy cow produces around 6-7 gallons (24-28 litres) of milk per day.
3. It takes around 2,500 litres of milk to make 1 tonne (1000 kg) of cheese.
4. Milk is a good choice for people of all ages. While infants and young children need milk for proper growth and development, milk is also a good choice for adults. Milk provides essential nutrients that can help to keep bones strong and reduce the risk of some chronic diseases.
5. Cleopatra took sour milk bath’s to keep her skin looking young and healthy.
6. A bar of milk chocolate must contain at least 12% milk to be considered milk chocolate.
7. Pasteurised milk can be stored at 5°C for up to two weeks without spoiling whereas raw milk will spoil within just a few days if not kept refrigerated.
8. The first milk bottle was invented in 1884.
9. Milk contains all nine essential amino acids, which technically makes it the only food you could wholly survive on.
10. India is the largest producer of milk.