Pianos are one of the most popular instruments in the world, and for good reason!
They’re versatile, they can be used in a wide range of genres, and they sound absolutely beautiful.
Here are ten fun facts about pianos:
1. The piano was invented in 1709 by Bartolomeo Cristofori, an Italian instrument maker.
2. The word “piano” comes from the Italian word “pianoforte,” which means “soft loud.”
3. Pianos come in a variety of sizes, from grand pianos to upright pianos to digital pianos.
4. A standard 88-key piano has 52 white keys and 36 black keys.
5. The highest note on a piano is C8, while the lowest note is A0.
6. The average concert grand piano weighs around 990 pounds (450 kg).
7. Steinway & Sons is one of the most well-known manufacturers of high-quality pianos in the world today. Other notable brands include Yamaha, Kawai, and Bosendorfer.
8. Piano music can be divided into two main categories: classical and popular. Classical music includes pieces composed by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and other renowned composers, while popular music encompasses jazz, rock, pop and blues tunes.
9. Some famous pianists throughout history include Ludwig van Beethoven, Frederic Chopin, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Scott Joplin, Duke Ellington, Billy Joel, Elton John and Herbie Hancock.
10. Playing the piano has many benefits! It can help improve your memory and concentration skills as well as boost your self-confidence.