Potato chips (crisps) are one of the most popular snacks in the world.
Here are 10 fun facts about them:
1. Potato chips were invented by accident in 1853. Chef George Crum was trying to make French fried potatoes, but they came out too thin and crispy. His customers loved them!
2. The first potato chips were made by hand. Today, there are special machines that cut potatoes into thin slices and cook them to perfection.
3. There are over 1,500 different brands of potato chips around the world.
4. In the United States, Lay’s is the best-selling brand of potato chips. Other popular brands include Pringles, Ruffles, and Cape Cod Chips.
5. Americans consume about 1 billion pounds (453 million kg) of potato chips each year – that’s about 3 ounces (85 grams) per person every week!
6. Potato chips come in many different flavours these days, from classic salt and vinegar to more unusual flavours like chocolate or even bacon!
7. One of the biggest fans of potato chips is former US President Ronald Reagan – he reportedly ate up to 12 bags a week!
8. In some countries, such as India and Pakistan, potato chips are often served with tea as a snack food.
9. Some people believe that eating lots of greasy foods like potato chips can cause acne breakouts – but this is actually a myth!
10. If you want your potato chips to stay fresh for longer, keep them in the fridge – they will last for up to 6 weeks.