Rory McIlroy is one of the most dominant players in golf history. Born in Northern Ireland, he began playing golf at a young age and quickly rose to fame as a professional golfer.
If you’re a golf fan, chances are you know the name Rory McIlroy. He has cemented himself as one of the greatest golfers in history and beyond. With a swing widely regarded as one of the most aesthetically pleasing in the game, McIlroy is considered one of the greatest golfers of all time.
Here are ten fun facts about Rory McIlroy:
- McIlroy was born in Hollywood, County Down, Northern Ireland on 4 May 1989. He is proud of his Northern-Irish roots and often credits them for his success.
- He started playing golf when he was two years old and was competing in professional tournaments by the age of 16. He turned professional in 2007 at the age of 18.
- He made his first hole-in-one at the age of 10.
- He won the 2011 US Open at age 22.
- McIlroy holds the record for the lowest score in a major championship, shooting a 16-under-par 268 at the 2011 US Open.
- McIlroy is a big fan of soccer, supporting Manchester United.
- McIlroy is one of 3 male golfers to win four Majors by the age of 25. (The other two are Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus)
- McIlroy has been in a relationship with Erica Stoll since 2014. They married in April 2017 at Ashford Castle, County Mayo
- He has his own clothing line with Nike Golf and has endorsed various other brands such as Omega watches.
- He was engaged to tennis star Caroline Wozniaki but the pair broke up in 2014.