Sleep is important for our physical and mental health. It helps us to recover from illness, repair our bodies and minds, and prepare us for the next day.
Here are ten fun facts about sleep:
1. We spend around one third of our lives asleep.
2. Sleep deprivation can lead to hallucinations.
3. The record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days.
4. Most people dream in colour.
5. Dreams can be a way of processing emotions and solving problems.
7. We usually have around 4-5 dreams each night but we only remember them if we wake up during or soon after REM sleep.
8. There are two types of insomnia – primary (where there is no underlying cause) and secondary (where an underlying condition such as anxiety or depression causes difficulty sleeping).
9. Most people need between 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
10. Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain as it increases levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin.