Spiders are one of the most feared creatures on the planet, but they are also some of the most fascinating.
Here are ten fun facts about spiders:
1. Spiders have been around for over 400 million years and are thought to have evolved from sea-dwelling ancestors.
2. There are over 40,000 species of spiders in the world, with new species being discovered all the time.
3. Spiders are found on every continent except Antarctica.
4. The largest spider in the world is the Goliath birdeater, which can have a leg span of up to 12 inches (30 cm).
5. The smallest spider in the world is the Patu marplesi, which measures just 0.015 inches (0.38 mm) across at its widest point – that’s smaller than a grain of rice!
6. Most spiders are harmless to humans and only bite if they feel threatened or provoked. In fact, less than 1% of all spider species can cause harm to humans with their bites.
7. The venom of some spiders can be used medically: for example, it has been used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure and arthritis pain relief medication.
8. Spider silk is incredibly strong – stronger than steel! It’s also very elastic, making it perfect for use in things like bulletproof vests and airbags.
9. Some spiders build webs that span several feet wide.
10. All spiders are carnivorous and eat insects or other small animals. Some larger species can even take down birds and small mammals.