If you enjoy fresh strawberries, you’re not alone. This juicy fruit is not only delicious but also provides many health benefits.
Did you know that the average strawberry has 200 seeds on it? Or that a strawberry is not actually a fruit, but a member of the rose family?
Here are ten fun facts about strawberries.
1. The scientific name for strawberry is Fragaria.
2. Strawberries are not actually berries. They are classified as accessory fruits because the fleshy part of the fruit is not derived from the plant’s ovary but from the receptacle that holds the ovaries.
3. There are more than 600 varieties of strawberries worldwide.
4. Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in spring.
5. A single strawberry plant can produce up to 500 berries in a season!
6. Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
7. The largest strawberry on record weighed in at 18 ounces.
8. A strawberry is not red all the way through. The flesh is white and the seeds are red.
9. The world’s biggest strawberry festival is held annually in Florida.
10. Strawberries are a good source of Vitamin C, manganese, and fibre.