Tennis is a sport that anyone can play.
Tennis is a sport that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities. It is a great way to get some exercise and have some fun. It is the most popular game, in the world, played with a racket and ball.
Here are ten fun facts about tennis:
1. The longest tennis match ever recorded lasted 11 hours and 5 minutes, and was between John Isner of America and Nicolas Mahut of France at Wimbledon 2010 – it finished 70-68 to Isner in the fifth set.
2. There have been some unusual items hit during matches over the years including a bird, a ball boy’s cap and even an umbrella.
4. American player Serena Williams has won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, more than any other player (male or female) in the Open Era of tennis (since 1968).
5. The first men’s singles Grand Slam tournament was won by Australian player Rod Laver in 1962.
6. Women’s tennis began to gain popularity in the late 19th century.
7. The game was originally played with the hands, but rackets were introduced in the 16th century.
8. The first Wimbledon tournament was held in 1877.
9. Tennis originated in France in the 12th century.
10. In 1977, Vitas Gerulaitis famously lost a match after saying “Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row” – he lost the very next match to Jimmy Connors.