Most people are familiar with the solar system and the planets that orbit around the sun.
However, there are many other fascinating facts about this corner of the universe.
Here are ten fun facts about the solar system:
1. The sun is huge! It is about 109 times the size of Earth and has the mass of about 333,000 Earths.
2. The sun is not the only star in the solar system. There are many other stars, including the red dwarf Proxima Centauri, which is the closest star to the sun.
3. The sun is not always at the centre of the solar system. During the winter, the sun is actually closer to the edge of the solar system.
4. The solar system is thought to be about 4.6 billion years old.
5. There are 8 planets in the solar system. In order from the sun, they are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
6. Pluto used to be considered a planet, but is now classified as a dwarf planet.
7. There are many other fascinating objects in the solar system, including asteroids, comets, and meteoroids.
8. The solar system is constantly moving. It is currently moving towards the star Vega, which is in the constellation Lyra.
9. The solar system is just a small part of the Milky Way galaxy. The Milky Way is thought to contain about 100 billion stars.
10. There are many other galaxies in the universe, and the solar system is just one of billions of trillions of galaxies.