Tomatoes are a fruit that is often mistaken for a vegetable. They are red, juicy, and delicious!
Here are ten fun facts about tomatoes:
1. Tomatoes are actually fruits, not vegetables.
2. The scientific name for tomato is Lycopersicon lycopersicum.
3. Tomatoes were first cultivated in South America.
4. Tomato plants can grow up to 10 feet tall!
5. There are over 10,000 different types of tomatoes grown around the world.
6. China is the leading producer of tomatoes, followed by the United States and Turkey.
7. Tomatoes contain a compound called lycopene, which has been linked to health benefits like reduced risk of heart disease and cancer prevention.
8. One medium-sized tomato has about 22 calories.
9. Tomato juice was once used as a treatment for seasickness.
10. The world’s heaviest tomato was recorded at 2 pounds 12 ounces!