Will Smith is a renowned American actor, rapper, and producer who is also known for his off-screen philanthropic work . He is actively involved in several charitable organizations.
Smith first rose to fame as the lead actor in the television series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in the early 1990s. He has become one of Hollywood’s most bankable stars, known for his charming personality, infectious humor, and versatile acting skills. He has, however, gained notoriety in recent years for slapping Chris Rock during the 2022 Oscars Ceremony.
Here are ten fun facts about American Actor Will Smith:
- Will Smith’s full name is Willard Carroll Smith Jr. He was born on September 25, 1968, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Before becoming an actor, Will Smith was a successful rapper. He was part of the hip-hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, and their album “He’s the DJ, I’m the Rapper” won the first-ever Grammy award for Best Rap Performance in 1989.
- Will Smith’s breakout role was as the titular character in the NBC sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” The show ran from 1990 to 1996 and propelled Smith to stardom.
- He has starred in many blockbuster movies, including Independence Day, Men in Black (multiple), Enemy of the State, Wild Wild West. The Legend of Bagger Vance,
Ali, I, Robot, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, I am Legend, Gemini Man, Aladdin, Bad Boys (multiple), King Richard and Hancock
- Will Smith has been married twice. He was first married to Sheree Zampino in 1992, and they have a son together named Trey. Smith is currently married to actress Jada Pinkett Smith, and they have two children together named Jaden and Willow.
- Will Smith has won four Grammy Awards for his music. He finally won an Academy Award in 2022 having been nominated 4 times previously. The Oscar was for his role in King Richard (2021), a movie about the early life of Serena and Venus Williams. However, his behavior earlier in the ceremony, when he slapped Chris Rock on stage, tarnished his win and resulted in him receiving a 10-year ban from all Academy events.
- In 2015, Will Smith and his son Jaden launched an eco-friendly water company called Just Water. The company uses sustainable packaging and donates a portion of its profits to charity.
- Will Smith is a huge chess fan and has played against some of the best players in the world. He even incorporated his love of the game into his role in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”
- Smith celebrated his 50th birthday by bungee jumping out of a helicopter over the Grand Canyon.
- Smith has a passion for cars and has an impressive collection that includes a 1965 Ford Mustang, a Tesla Roadster, BMW i8, Rolls Royce Ghost, Maybach 57 and a 1998 Bentley Azure.